Company History

History Fisher Contracting Midland MI Franklin KY

The History of the Fisher Companies & Fisher Contracting

The Fisher Companies were founded by Ralph J. and Zelda Fisher as a single company operation in 1925, within the city limits of Midland, Michigan. This single operation originally started as a small road and site contractor and sand and gravel operation, providing aggregate materials and contracting service in the Mid-Michigan area.

After World War II, Ralph and Zelda’s sons took over the business, and saw opportunities in many other product and service lines. Surviving the challenges of the Great Depression and World War II, the Fisher Companies weathered many changes, but continued to grow steadily. In 1947, a triangle of land at the south end of Jefferson Avenue in Midland, was purchased from the Dow Chemical Company, and has since been the permanent home of Fisher Sand and Gravel.

With a proactive view of what was going on in the gravel industry, Ralph Fisher decided that if he didn’t get into the concrete business, someone else would – and they would take over the gravel industry. It only seemed natural and logical to Ralph that people in the sand and gravel business should also be in the concrete business. Therefore, out of necessity, the business gradually expanded to include concrete services. By the 1950′s the ready mix concrete and the heavy and civil contracting segments of the business had grown so large that separate companies were started. In 1955, Central Concrete Products was founded in Mt. Pleasant, Michigan, with Bud Fisher serving as the president, and soon followed Fisher Contracting in 1957, led by A.J. (Bill) Fisher, with brother, Jim Fisher, staying on as President of Fisher Sand and Gravel.

To round-off the complementary suite of products and services, Fisher Companies established their own transportation services company in 1970, known as Fisher Transportation; thus, offering customers a complete solution – from product to delivery with all other Fisher Operations. Fisher Transportation quickly grew to provide services outside the Fisher operations, and now serves a diverse base of customers.

During the 1980′s, an asphalt division, stone dock, and heavy equipment distributor division were also created; again to complement the already existing divisions. Joining the Fisher Companies in 1982, Central Asphalt brings a full-service asphalt production and paving company to the table, handling any job from a highway to a residential driveway.  Bay Aggregate boasts a prime location on the Saginaw River and is a supplier of a multitude of aggregate products, and Bay Aggregate was established in 1983.  Additionally, in 1984, Midland Engine was founded, which operates as a full-service heavy equipment distributor, with expertise in diesel engine rebuilding and repairs.

The most recent addition to the Fisher Companies is a championship golf course.  Bucks Run Golf Club, of Mt. Pleasant, MI, opened for business in July of 2000.  The course was created in what used to be an old mining operation for the company.  Architect Jerry Matthews, who has designed numerous other golf courses in Michigan, designed the award-winning course.

Fisher Contracting History Midland MI Franklin KY